Being diagnosed with degenerative disc disease can be alarming and scary. The word degenerative strikes the heart with instant fear and the mind with grappling hope. Visions of painful situations play out in the mind as one is confronted with this life altering information. Questions are raised and hopelessness sits in. This is the initial shock a patient deals with when hearing the term degenerative disc disease. However, hope is not completely lost if one has a caring physician. At Innovative Pain Solutions, Dr. Kalia’s degenerative disc disease treatment options puts hope back into the hearts of his patients.
What Is Degenerative Disc Disease?
Degenerative disc disease (DDD) is a condition that causes pain due to a damaged disc. Just because the condition is degenerative does not mean that one will be in constant pain all the time. How the condition progresses or flares up is completely different from each individual as no one person is the same. When thinking of the word degenerative it is important to note that the word is not necessarily applied to the amount of pain or the pain level that an individual will occur but the process of which the disc breaks down over time. DDD usually takes place in one of two areas: the cervical spine (neck) or lumbar spine (lower back). These areas are prone to degeneration due to the amount function and mobility that are required from these parts of the body.
What Are The Symptoms of DDD?
Symptoms of DDD are so diverse to each individual and situation that if you are experiencing any significant amounts of pain or flare ups, it is important to see a physician right away. If you’re experiencing any of the follow signs, you may have DDD:
- Axial low back pain
- Pain that radiates into the legs
- Deep midline aching pain
- Pain that flares consistently and dies down to low-grade pain or gradually dissipates into nothing.
- Radical pain ranging from extreme to nagging and back to severe again.
- Intermittent levels of pain that never go away
- When performing certain tasks affect a particular area
- When certain movements and mobility feels better than prolonged sitting
- If changing positions frequently relieves pain
- Relief comes from lying reclined or horizontal with pillows under the knees.
How Is It Diagnosed?
- CT scans
What Treatment Options Are Available?
Conservative discogenic pain treatment is first recommended before more aggressive means are considered. Below is a list of various degenerative disc disease treatment options that you may consider or be advised to pursue.
- Pain Control Medications
- NSAIDS, Tylenol, muscle relaxants, and/or opioids
- Lumbar Epidural Steroid Injection
- Endoscopic Discectomy DISC FX
- Application of Heat and Ice
- Decompressive Lumbar Spine Bracing
- Exercise and Physical Therapy
- Life Style Modifications:
- Staying hydrated with enough water
- Avoid lifting heavy objects
- Refrain from sporting activities that require twisting and bending such as golf and basketball.
- Avoiding alcohol and nicotine products
- Staying active, avoid being sedentary for a prolonged period of time, and taking stretch breaks.
Contact us at Innovative Pain Solutions in Orlando to see if you qualify for degenerative disc disease treatment options and to begin patient paperwork before coming in. To schedule your appointment call (407) 284-1993. Check out our website at orlandopainsolutions.com to find out more information on Dr. Kalia and his practices.